You may find it challenging to access beneficial resources that allow you to properly care for your loved one. We have researched some at-home activities that encourage communication for adults who are recovering from a stroke or maintaining skills after a neurodegenerative diagnosis. These morning activities consist of routines that get you both up and moving and allow for independent participation.Methods such as reading and reporting the news with one another, each morning, is a great way for your loved one to talk about what is going on that day.
Try this engaging activity:
Whether it’s in print or digital format, find a publication to read together. Regardless of how they are able to comprehend content or photos, have your loved one relay information from that particular issue.
Here are some questions to ask:
- What is today’s date (day of the week, month)?
- What is the local weather today? Tomorrow? This week?
- What will the weather be like where friends and family live?
- What was the score of the Cavs game? Indians? Browns?
- What restaurant is reviewed in the paper and what are your own opinions?
- What movies are reviewed and which ones look good/bad?
- Discuss the ads and clip coupons, then go shopping!
Whatever direction you decide to take, embed this into your daily morning routine.