Anna Margaret “Annie” Glenn is the widow of astronaut and Senator John Glenn. She suffered from a severe stutter for most of her life. Once she received treatment, and overcame her disorder, she became a tireless advocate for people with disabilities and communication disorders. In 2016, Governor John Kasich passed a law naming February 17th (Annie’s birthday) as Annie Glenn Communication Disorders Awareness Day in the State of Ohio.
DID YOU KNOW:
- Communication disorders are among the most common disabilities in the U.S.
- An estimated 40 million Americans experience speech, language, or hearing disorders.
- 28-60% of children with a speech and language deficit have a sibling and/or parent
who is also affected.
- It is estimated that more than 3 million Americans stutter.
- Over 1 million Americans are functionally deaf.
- The 2nd most common reason for special education services in U.S. public schools is
- Communication disorders cost the U.S. approximately $154-$186 billion annually.
- 37.5 million American adults aged 18 and over report some degree of hearing loss.